Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Haitian man is rescued after 11 days in rubble

Haitian man is rescued after 11 days in rubble

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

By BEN FOX and JESSICA DESVARIEUX

Associated Press

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- An international team of rescuers unearthed a 23-year-old man in good condition from deep beneath the concrete and wooden wreckage of a hotel grocery store Saturday, 11 days after an earthquake crumbled Haiti's capital.

Dozens of onlookers wearing masks against the stench of the city's decaying bodies cheered when Rismond Exantus, clad in a black T-shirt and black pants, was carried from a narrow tunnel on a stretcher and placed in an ambulance. He braced one arm with the other.

"I was hungry," Exantus told The Associated Press from his hospital bed soon after the rescue. "But every night I thought about the revelation that I would survive."

He said he survived initially by diving under a desk when the rubble started to fall around him. Trapped in such a small space, he had to lie on his back the entire time and survived by drinking cola, beer and cookies.

"I would eat anything I found," he said. "After the quake I didn't know when it was day and when it was night."

One of the man's brothers, Jean Elit Jean Pierre, said Exantus worked as a cashier in a grocery store on the ground floor of the Hotel Napoli. The brothers persuaded rescuers to save Exantus, who has a different name because he had it changed.

From his hospital bed Saturday, Exantus turned to his family and said, "When you are in a hole I will try to reach out to you, too."

Earlier Saturday, the United Nations announced the Haitian government had declared an end to rescue operations. Still, dozens of international teams continued to pick through rubble of the Jan. 12 quake.

Saturday's rescue effort started when one of the man's brothers helped get a Greek search team to the site after hearing Exantus' voice, said Apostolos Dedas, a mission leader for the Greek team.

"It is very emotional. It is the best thing that can happen to you when you are a rescuer," Dedas said.

Lt. Col. Christophe Renou, a French Civil Protection official who was part of the rescue team at the site, said rescuers used chain saws, heavy-duty drills and hand saws to dig a narrow tunnel to the man and got him water while working to extract him. Renou said the man was buried under 16 1/2 to 20 feet of debris, mostly wood and concrete.

The rescue teams said they sent two women into the tunnel because only they could fit.

Carmen Michalska, a Scottish woman who is a member of the Greek team, found Exantus wedged between shelving and debris, and a French female rescuer used a saw to cut away the last bit of debris. When Exantus emerged, "He was smiling and he was just really happy to get out," Michalska said. "He said, 'Thank you."'

Renou speculated the man survived because the building was mostly wooden, which created some air spaces. He said he was not sure if anyone else was trapped in the collapsed store and the team was using radar to check the rubble for signs of life.

"What happened in that spot there is a miracle," Renou said. "We are really happy he is alive."

Rescues have become increasingly rare since the magnitude-7.0 quake leveled the city, killing an estimated 200,000 people. Before the latest rescue, U.N. spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs said 132 people had been pulled alive from collapsed buildings.

Experts say the chance of saving trapped people begins diminishing after 72 hours.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The Australian Outback town of Quilpie hoped its offer of free residential land to anyone who would make it their home might attract five new families to the remote community of 800. But authorities have been overwhelmed by more than 250 inquires in less than two weeks from around Australia and internationally.

PARIS (AP) — A former politician who called for the overthrow of the French government has been charged with terrorism in connection with what authorities have said was an extreme-right plot to attack vaccination centers, a masonic lodge and other targets.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

Weekend Things to Do

News Alert