If you're looking for real results in the gym, pairing a regular weight training routine with your cardio regimen can help energize you, tone muscles and build strength.
Here are some tips for avoiding injuries:
* Warm up and cool down with stretching, light jogging and calisthenics.
* Wear proper footwear to ensure stability when lifting.
* Always follow proper technique; do research beforehand or ask a fitness trainer.
* Have a spotter help you with free weights. Lift slowly. Avoid using momentum or jerking the weights.
* Be aware of your surroundings to avoid accidents with other patrons. But concentrate on what you're doing. Distractions can lead to injury.
* Never hold your breath while lifting. This could make you light-headed and dizzy.
* Allow time for muscles to rest between workouts.