You have permission to edit this article.
Brenham 34, Waller 33 OT

Brenham 34, Waller 33 OT

  • 0
Only $5 for 5 months

BRENHAM -- The Brenham Cubs have never seen a season like this before.

Brenham stuffed the Waller Bulldogs on a two-point conversion attempt in overtime to beat the District 18-4A leaders 34-33 on Friday night.

Six of Brenham's seven games have been decided by four points or less, and this one came down to the wire, with a 9-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Kyler Crenshaw to tight end Clifton Bellard proving the difference.

After the Cubs (5-2, 3-1 in 18-4A) scored on the first possession of overtime, Waller scored on a 4-yard run by Jeremy Luckett to pull within one point. Waller (5-3, 3-1) head coach Jim Phillips, whose offense entered the game as the top unit in the district, opted to go for the two-point conversion and the victory, but the Cubs stopped receiver Joplo Bartu 2 yards shy of the end zone clinch the win.

Both teams moved the ball throughout the game, combining for 828 yards of total offense.

The Cubs were led by their passing game, as Crenshaw completed 18 of 26 passes for 254 yards and two touchdowns. Roberson complemented him with 137 yards and three touchdowns on 26 carries.

Brenham has punted just three times in its last two games.

Phillips threw for 181 yards on 10-of-14 passing, but the Bulldogs were once again led by their rushing attack, as Luckett ran for 128 yards and two touchdowns, and Phillips ran for 94 yards and scored once on the ground.

The two sides traded touchdowns throughout most of the first half. After Brenham junior Chase Michalak blocked a Waller punt, the Cubs took advantage of the short field with a 2-yard touchdown run by Ryan Roberson.

Waller answered on the next play from scrimmage with an 80-yard run from Waller quarterback Jeremy Phillips, who faked a handoff up the middle and ran down the right sideline for the touchdown.

The Cubs scored again on a 74-yard drive that ended on a 3-yard touchdown run by Roberson, but once again, the Cubs' lead was short-lived. Waller marched 72 yards downfield, and Phillips capped the drive with an 18-yard pass to fullback Andrew Simon, who was wide open in the flats and ran untouched into the end zone.

Waller took its first lead of the game with just five seconds remaining in the half. Phillips hit Jeremy Luckett on a shovel pass that went 47 yards through the heart of the Cubs' defense, and a 3-yard touchdown pass to Joplo Bartu gave Waller a 7-point lead heading into halftime.

The Cubs dominated the time of possession in the second half, allowing Waller just four plays in the fourth quarter. Crenshaw completed an 18-yard touchdown pass to Tito Mathis to tie the score at 21 in the third quarter, and Roberson scored his third touchdown of the night with 7:12 remaining to cap a 95-yard drive that required seven first downs and took more than six minutes off the clock.

After Brenham missed the extra point, momentum swung Waller's way as Luckett ran 80 yard on Waller's first play from scrimmage to tie the score. Waller missed what would have been the game-winning extra point.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

Weekend Things to Do

News Alert